Saturday 15 June 2013

Yin yoga. Slow, deep restoration.

I have learnt the basics of Vinyasa flow classes, since beginning yoga about 10 years ago. Enough to be able to lead my own practice at home, and teach my partner or a couple of friends occasionally. I must admit though, I don't think I ever push myself - mind-wise and emotionally, as much as a yin yoga class does. This week marked a new yoga expansion in my life.

Mr. Bikram at teacher training. That's a lot of sweaty people!!
There are many yoga styles, and what suits you depends on what you are looking for. Take Bikram for example- a very yang dominant, heating, 'rarrrr' type yoga, that makes me feel exhilarated, but drained if I do it too often. People often shy away from yoga because they don't think it's a work out. Have you seen the abs & buns of steel on yoga teachers?? You wouldn't get a body like that if yoga wasn't a strong work out!

Anyway, I have been wanting to try a different style of yoga for a while, as change is a necessary part of expansion, and expansion is what I have in focus at the moment.

Enter, YIN yoga! Cooling, internal and restorative.
  Basically, it brings you into a deep meditative state whilst remaining in some poses for up to 10 minutes. Slow paced for the body, and intense for the mind, as the ego tries to search for more ways to take you away from the present moment, it is a lesson in surrender, patience (we all need more of that!) and acceptance.

I found some poses were just awful to begin with- think sitting on your butt, legs in a 'splits' position, heels flexed. ouch, before you even begin the pose!! Once you are accepting and present in the moment, your breath flows, your body stops screaming, and begins to soften and release. Your head actually nearly touches the floor in front of you!

I found myself relaxing into some poses only to think I could have stayed in them even longer. This is a stark contrast to the first few moments when my body was feeling like it was ready to run out of the room screaming.

The following day, I felt lighter, brighter, and my mind had so much clarity compared to my all too frequent 'mama brain'. 

I felt like I was ready to slow my yoga practice down. My body doesn't call for heavy workouts (does anyone's really?) and in order to feel more balanced, I realised I needed to do more internal work.

When was the last time you allowed yourself to slow down? Have you ever slowed down?

In our modern society, everything is in the fast lane. No rest for anyone, working more than ever just to do what? Exist? A tired existence at that. Think about this. 

When we slow down, we rest. Rest allows us to have more clarity, we are able to make better decisions. Decisions for the greater good, starting with ourselves. 
We choose to be kind, gentle and loving as opposed to impatient, irritable and angry.
We tend to eat slower, chew more, & choose better foods. New pathways in our life seem to appear that may have already been there, but perhaps we've never slowed down enough to see them.

Make it your homework this week to take time out to do some internal work. Even better, try a yin yoga class. Your mind, body and soul will thank you.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment