Friday 21 June 2013

Breathing techniques to banish anxiety

When I speak to people about their stress levels, I usually get two responses.

1. I'm not stressed at all! (You're telling me this, and your body is telling me otherwise...)


2. I'm stressed and it takes over my life. I'm out of control at times. (Often the mums I see who are juggling a career, kids, walking the dog, cooking dinner and keeping a house going with the laundry, cleaning etc)

There is an amazing breathing technique that I like to share with as many people as I can. I learned it a while back from my amazing yoga teacher, and use it frequently to settle my little guy (and myself) into bed at night.

Here’s how to do it:
  1. Simply get comfortable in any position and put your hands in your lap.
  2. To maximize oxygen intake, it’s important to learn to breathe from your abdomen (belly breathing) rather than your chest. Focus on your breath until you feel your stomach rise and fall more dramatically than your chest with each inhalation and exhalation.
  3. Breathe in through your nose for a count of 4, hold the breath for 6 counts and then exhale through your nose for a count of 8. The time it takes to exhale should be about twice what it is to inhale. 
  4. Let go of thoughts while you breathe. The 'monkey mind' can be so overwhelming and powerful at times!
  5. Do 4-8 breath cycles 1-3 times every day (this is what is recommended, however, I tend to do it at times when I need to wind down- after lunch and before bed at night). I also find it useful if my son has had a big fall, hit his head or something & is really upset (hopefully it will encourage him to breathe deeply when in a stressful/traumatic situation during his life).
I especially recommend it for those of you who may have identified some form of anxiety or stress and it is consistently on your mind. 

If you have a rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure or any other cardiovascular issues, mindful breathing, practiced daily may help regulate your current condition.


If you’re having trouble focusing on just your breath, consider incorporating a positive repetitive phrase (mantra). E.g. I breathe in positivity, I let go of fear. All is well.

By being mindful of your breath, you assist your body to let go on more levels than just the physical. It helps to retrain your brain to create positive pathways. It creates resilience, patience and feelings of wellbeing.

A few mindful minutes per day is all you need in order to get started.

What are you waiting for? Get breathing!





No comments:

Post a Comment